Parkinsons UK Local Adviser who covers the whole of Mendip
My name is Lucy Scott and I am a Local Adviser for the charity Parkinson’s UK. I am here for you – whether you have the condition or you’re a carer, friend or family member of someone with Parkinson’s. I can help if you:
• have just been diagnosed and are looking for advice and information
• are looking for tips on how to deal with the day-to-day impact of Parkinson’s
• need emotional support
• want to find out more about the services available in your area
• want to learn about your rights and entitlements
• need help navigating the benefits process
• need information on where to find grants and financial help
• are looking for support on employment issues
• need support with anything else relating to your life with Parkinson’s
- Sedgemoor Lifeline-Our Lifeline service is for vulnerable people, victims of abuse, Hospital discharge and anyone, at any age, that is living alone. Our service enables people to live independently in their own home and gives peace of mind to family and friends. Available in Mendip, North Somerset, Sedgemoor, West Somerset (Somerset). Tel: 01278 435776
- Lifeline 24 – personal alarms and pendants for the elderly or disabled, people living alone and at risk of falling or in need of reassurance, people suffering from long term illness such as dementia, epilepsy or heart disease. Tel: 0800 999 0400
- Aster Group – monitored home units and pendants to help manage risk and support independence. Tel: 0333 400 8299
SNA – Somerset Neurological Alliance Directory
A guide to neurological services in Somerset. The SNA is a combination of Neurological Charities for further information please go to their website.
Parkinson’s Exercise Group, Frome
Gentle exercise classes for people with Parkinson’s. Every week on a Monday 10.15am – 11.15am, at the Frome Medical Centre.
Education Suite, Frome Medical Centre, Enos Way, Frome, BA11 2FH. Contact Robin Tanner, Branch Chair to check dates and times of forthcoming sessions.
Mendip Branch Parkinson’s UK
We offer information, friendship and support to local people with Parkinson’s, their families and carers. We also organise regular events and social activities.
We meet on the second Wednesday of the month from 2.30pm – 4.30pm. Call before attending in case venue has changed or they are on a trip.
Meeting venue: Bovemoor Sheltered Housing Scheme, Strode Road, Street, BA16 0DY.
Contact Kath Sully for further information.
Bath and District Branch Parkinson’s UK
We offer information, friendship and support to local people with Parkinson’s, their families and carers. We also organise regular events and social activities so join us and meet other people affected by Parkinson’s in your area.
Meeting venue: Foxhill Community Centre, Hawthorn Grove, Combe Down, Bath BA2 5QD. Third Saturday of the month from 10.30am. Call before attending in case venue has changed or they are on a trip. For more information or if you would like to attend, email or call Val Smith!
Parkinson’s Bath and Local Area Support Group
Fancy a cuppa and a chat? We are a friendship and support group for local people with Parkinson’s and their carers, everyone welcome just turn up on the day.
Frome – Second Friday of the month (except Bank holidays) from 10.00am until 12.00pm at the Cheese and Grain, Market Yard, Frome, BA11 1BE.
Midsomer Norton – First Tuesday of the month from 10:00am – 12:00pm at The Centurion Hotel, Charlton Lane, Midsomer Norton, Radstock, BA3 4BD.
Radstock – Third Friday of the month from 10:00am – 11:45am at Methodist Church Hall, The Street, Radstock, BA3 4BD.
Radstock – Third Monday of the month from 10:00am – 12:00pm at Jessem Coffee Shop, 7 High Street, Midsomer Norton, Radstock, BA3 2LE.
Radstock – Third Wednesday of the month from 10:00am – 12:00pm at George Inn, Gurney Slade, Radstock, BA3 4TQ.
Shepton Mallet – First Wednesday of the month 10.00am – 12.00pm at 41 Hanover Close, Shaftgate Avenue, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5YQ
If you would like more information contact Lucy Scott on the number below.
Somerset Younger People’s Support Group (Sparkies)
Parkinsons, their families and carers. The group is part of the Taunton and Mid Somerset Branch. For details, please see our volunteer-run website. Group last Thursday of each month Time 7.30pm Contact Beth Maddock for details of where group is being held.
Taunton and Mid Somerset Branch
Fourth Tuesday of the month 11am-3.30pm. We also run the following subgroups: Somerset Younger People’s Support Group, Cheddon Fitzpaine Memorial Hall, Rowford Cheddon Fitzpaine Taunton Somerset TA2 8JY please call/email to check details or visit website.
Dorothy House Hospice Care – Central and East Mendip
If you or a loved-one has been diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, Dorothy House are here to offer support. We care for people with cancer and non-cancer diagnoses and we provide 80% of our services directly in the community.
There’s a myth that hospices are just places to die. In truth, our job is to help everyone live their life to its fullest potential. By connecting with people earlier after diagnosis, we can help them achieve their goals – no matter how big or small.
We provide outstanding palliative and end of life care, giving patients, their families and carers access to specialists in a range of services.
All our services are free of charge. To be referred to Dorothy House you will need to talk to your GP, district nurse or other healthcare professional or if you would like to discuss how we might be able to support you, a relative, carer or friend, please contact us.
Friends in Grief Group – Shepton Mallet Brasserie, High Street, Shepton Mallet every Wednesday 10am – 12pm. Come along Dorothy House available at meeting for support and advice.